
I'm happy to inform you that I'm writing this blog from my house! I have the internet setup now after three weeks of waiting.
It is crazy to think that I've already been here three and a half weeks. How God brought me here in such a short time never ceases to amaze me. It is truly right where He wants me. I'm so thankful for the clear guidance that He provided.
Let me tell you what exactly I'm doing. I'm an Assistant English Teacher (AET) at the Horigane Junior high school and also the Horigane Elementary school. I spend four days a week at the junior high school and one day a week at the elementary school. At the junior high school I work with four English teachers. There are about 24 different English classes at the school and every week I help with each class at least one time. Now that I'm settling into the routine I've been able to get to know some of the students. Each month I will have lunch with a different class. In October I'm eating lunch with the 3rd year students, class #1. They are so great! They welcomed me into their class and made name tags, so that helps me get to know the students. Horigane is such a small village, that I always see students when I go to the store or take a walk. That makes it easy to connect with the students.
*Please pray for more opportunities to build relationships and share my faith with the students.
At the elementary school I work with one English teacher. It is her first year teaching English and she is 26 years old. Her name is Ayaka. We are already becoming friends and we're going out to dinner next week and we will go shopping together another time!
*Please pray that I build a good relationship with Ayaka and seize every opportunity.
I have only been to the elementary school one time, but I love it already! I went to three 2nd grade classes and we did a craft to get ready for their fall parade and party. The 5/6 class, which is like a special education class, they hosted a welcome party for me. They made a banner that said "Welcome to Horigane" and they gave me cookies that spell my name and an apple! There were about twelve students and the principal even came to the party! I introduced myself and passed around some pictures, we played games, and we ate the pancakes they made. They are a precious class and the teachers are so wonderful.

On Thursday morning I went to introduce myself to all the elementary students. It was after P.E. so first I joined in the school-wide dancing and games! I was surprised to see the principal and the vice principal join in the dancing also. The atmosphere at the elementary school and the junior high are so different!
I found out this past week that I won't be able to get the vacation days to be home in time for Christmas. It is a tough situation because the last person quit without telling anyone and used all the vacation days and then I couldn't get to Japan by September 1st. My supervisor went to the board of education, but they are only giving me one day before the school's winter break. That means that I have December 26th as my first vacation day. I have to teach on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day. I will be flying home the 26th and I'll be home until January 5th. This was hard news to get and I still feel disappointed. I will definitely need your prayers for this situation.
*Please pray that I will not feel lonely during this special time away from my family.
*Pray that there will be a family that is willing to take me under their wings for Christmas.
*Praise the Lord for the opportunity to share about why I celebrate Christmas. Pray that their will be many opportunities to share about Christ's birth.
I love living in this house here in Horigane, but it would be even better if I could have a roommate! I talked to some of my friends from church about the possibility of being my roommate and then I talked to my supervisor about it and she loved the idea! What a blessing. My friends are praying about the possibility and trying to decide if it is possible financially.
*Please pray that my friends will get the details worked out and that someone could move in soon!
Wow, so many things have happened already. I feel like I haven't even put a dent in the things I could share. I've been able to see friends and host families from my previous visits to Japan. I've been able to spend a holiday with friends in Norikura. I attended my first Jo-Nen Sei (Junior High festival) and I even participated! I've received a lot of help and support in getting settled from the church family at Azumino Family Chapel. I feel truly blessed by all that has happened in these three and a half weeks.
A verse I'm memorizing right now is Psalm 121:1-2. 
"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth." It is amazing because every morning on my way to school I can lift my eyes to the mountains, unlike in Indiana. The Japanese are surrounded by the beauty of the earth that our Lord has created and yet they don't know him. My prayer for this year is that seeds will be planted in the hearts of some Japanese to know their Creator.
I'm so thankful for your prayers and support.
