
Well! Here it is. I started my Japan blog. Just in case anyone missed the story about how I got to Japan, let me recap.
I was headed for a teaching job in Nagoya, Japan. I've never been to Nagoya and I didn't know anyone there, but I was excited for the job. It was teaching English at a Christian International school. It was a small school only on its second year. They called to interview me and offered me the job all at the same time. While I was waiting to hear from them about the visa, I started preparations for moving to Japan...mostly Shopping! Less than two weeks later the head English teacher sent me an email saying that he had unfortunate news and wanted to talk to me on the phone. I set up a time to talk with him the next day. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought the worst. When he called he said that after talking with the school's lawyer they realized that they could not having anyone else working on a visa at their school. Since they were a new school, the government would look down on that and could even shut them down. He apologized profusely and said that they were sorry because they wanted me for the job. As a little consolation he said that he would send my resume on to jobs that he knew of and recommend me. I was devistated. I didn't know what to do. The day before I received his email I read Proverbs 20:24 which says, "Man's steps are ordained by the LORD, how then can man understand his ways?" This was exactly how I felt. I thought that God was directing every step for this job in Nagoya and I didn't understand the reason for disappointment. It was a hard day.
That same day, which was a Friday I had an interview with a preschool in North Webster. I kept the interview because when they called me I knew the the job in Japan had bad news and I thought it was worth keeping the interview. I went to the interview half-heartedly, but decided that if I did end up staying in Warsaw, then it was a job I would enjoy. Later that night they called me and offered me the job. They let me have until Saturday to decide. When they called to offer me the job, they made it clear that they wanted a full year commitment. I didn't know what to do. The job was only part time and it would be a lot of gas money driving to North Webster each week. But, I wanted to grab the job because naturally I thought something was better than nothing! I had a lot to think and pray about. After much prayer and godly counsel (3WW :) I decided to turn the job down. I knew that my heart was in Japan and I wanted to keep looking for teaching jobs there. I turned down the job with nothing on the horizon and no idea what God would do.
On Saturday and Sunday, I felt like I was walking in a fog. I was so thankful for my church family who prayed for me and encouraged me in this hard time. I felt like I was back to square one. I didn't even know how I could look for other jobs in Japan.
On Monday morning I was off to work at my dad's sponge company when I checked my email. I had an email from Tezuka san.
This is a lady that I sent my resume to last winter. When I was in Japan last Summer I met with a lady (Nanasaba san) on the board of education in Azumino City about teaching jobs in the elementary schools and she recommended that I send my resume to Tezuka san. Last winter, Tezuka san said that jobs do not open up in the fall and she recommended that I wait until April 2009. She also suggested that before that I should go to Japan to study Japanese and do a homestay. The last time I had heard from her was in May, when she told me that the best language schools are in the big cities.
Her email on Monday morning said that there was a job opening up in September and she wondered if I was interested. I about fell out of my chair! I couldn't believe that this was God's plan all along. This job was in the Junior high and elementary schools in Horigane, which is a part of Azumino City! That would mean that I would be in the middle of the Azumino Family Chapel church body and in the middle of the places I was familiar with. I emailed back right away and we set up a time to talk.
In the meantime, I heard from my friend Luke, who was in Azumino City, that there was a job opening up. It was the same job and I had already heard from the lady that was doing the hiring. He sent me the job posting. Five times on the posting it said either, you must reside in Japan or no overseas applications! I couldn't believe it! Tezuka san was the one who contacted me! I could tell it was a total God thing.
When Tezuka san called me the next day, she didn't even ask me if I wanted the job. She just started talking about what I would do and where I would live and asked me when I could be there. I was so thrilled and shocked! I wanted to laugh out loud at God's goodness and timing. He knew the absolute best all along! I'm so thankful for the way that he worked everything out.
Two weeks later I boarded a plane and headed to Japan! I was ready to go that quickly because I had prepared for the other job. Tezuka san was so helpful in helping me get settled.
Everday I thank the Lord for where he has put me. I know that if ever times get hard or I wonder what I'm doing here. I can know that this is exactly where God wants me!
The best blessing so far here in Japan has been being able to be with the church family at Azumino Family Chapel. I have known many of them since my family first took a trip to Japan when I was ten years old. They all recognize that God worked all this out miraculously. As my brother said, "It's like God closed one door, but then opened a barn door."
I hope to update you more on the adventures I have. It could be hard because I don't have internet set up at my house yet. I will be more faithful on the updating after that is all settled.
For now, know that my first two weeks have been great! I'm still trying to get into the swing of teaching, but it is going well.
More to come later!
I was headed for a teaching job in Nagoya, Japan. I've never been to Nagoya and I didn't know anyone there, but I was excited for the job. It was teaching English at a Christian International school. It was a small school only on its second year. They called to interview me and offered me the job all at the same time. While I was waiting to hear from them about the visa, I started preparations for moving to Japan...mostly Shopping! Less than two weeks later the head English teacher sent me an email saying that he had unfortunate news and wanted to talk to me on the phone. I set up a time to talk with him the next day. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought the worst. When he called he said that after talking with the school's lawyer they realized that they could not having anyone else working on a visa at their school. Since they were a new school, the government would look down on that and could even shut them down. He apologized profusely and said that they were sorry because they wanted me for the job. As a little consolation he said that he would send my resume on to jobs that he knew of and recommend me. I was devistated. I didn't know what to do. The day before I received his email I read Proverbs 20:24 which says, "Man's steps are ordained by the LORD, how then can man understand his ways?" This was exactly how I felt. I thought that God was directing every step for this job in Nagoya and I didn't understand the reason for disappointment. It was a hard day.
That same day, which was a Friday I had an interview with a preschool in North Webster. I kept the interview because when they called me I knew the the job in Japan had bad news and I thought it was worth keeping the interview. I went to the interview half-heartedly, but decided that if I did end up staying in Warsaw, then it was a job I would enjoy. Later that night they called me and offered me the job. They let me have until Saturday to decide. When they called to offer me the job, they made it clear that they wanted a full year commitment. I didn't know what to do. The job was only part time and it would be a lot of gas money driving to North Webster each week. But, I wanted to grab the job because naturally I thought something was better than nothing! I had a lot to think and pray about. After much prayer and godly counsel (3WW :) I decided to turn the job down. I knew that my heart was in Japan and I wanted to keep looking for teaching jobs there. I turned down the job with nothing on the horizon and no idea what God would do.
On Saturday and Sunday, I felt like I was walking in a fog. I was so thankful for my church family who prayed for me and encouraged me in this hard time. I felt like I was back to square one. I didn't even know how I could look for other jobs in Japan.
On Monday morning I was off to work at my dad's sponge company when I checked my email. I had an email from Tezuka san.
This is a lady that I sent my resume to last winter. When I was in Japan last Summer I met with a lady (Nanasaba san) on the board of education in Azumino City about teaching jobs in the elementary schools and she recommended that I send my resume to Tezuka san. Last winter, Tezuka san said that jobs do not open up in the fall and she recommended that I wait until April 2009. She also suggested that before that I should go to Japan to study Japanese and do a homestay. The last time I had heard from her was in May, when she told me that the best language schools are in the big cities.
Her email on Monday morning said that there was a job opening up in September and she wondered if I was interested. I about fell out of my chair! I couldn't believe that this was God's plan all along. This job was in the Junior high and elementary schools in Horigane, which is a part of Azumino City! That would mean that I would be in the middle of the Azumino Family Chapel church body and in the middle of the places I was familiar with. I emailed back right away and we set up a time to talk.
In the meantime, I heard from my friend Luke, who was in Azumino City, that there was a job opening up. It was the same job and I had already heard from the lady that was doing the hiring. He sent me the job posting. Five times on the posting it said either, you must reside in Japan or no overseas applications! I couldn't believe it! Tezuka san was the one who contacted me! I could tell it was a total God thing.
When Tezuka san called me the next day, she didn't even ask me if I wanted the job. She just started talking about what I would do and where I would live and asked me when I could be there. I was so thrilled and shocked! I wanted to laugh out loud at God's goodness and timing. He knew the absolute best all along! I'm so thankful for the way that he worked everything out.
Two weeks later I boarded a plane and headed to Japan! I was ready to go that quickly because I had prepared for the other job. Tezuka san was so helpful in helping me get settled.
Everday I thank the Lord for where he has put me. I know that if ever times get hard or I wonder what I'm doing here. I can know that this is exactly where God wants me!
The best blessing so far here in Japan has been being able to be with the church family at Azumino Family Chapel. I have known many of them since my family first took a trip to Japan when I was ten years old. They all recognize that God worked all this out miraculously. As my brother said, "It's like God closed one door, but then opened a barn door."
I hope to update you more on the adventures I have. It could be hard because I don't have internet set up at my house yet. I will be more faithful on the updating after that is all settled.
For now, know that my first two weeks have been great! I'm still trying to get into the swing of teaching, but it is going well.
More to come later!
