Saturday, January 17, 2009

Where's the Central Heating?!



Happy 2009! Can you believe that we have turned another year on our calendars? As I think back on 2008 I'm amazed with all that happened. Graduation, internship in Chicago, Job in Nagoya, Japan, no job in Nagoya, Job in Azumino, Japan and now I'm here! Just to name a few! God is good! I'm thankful for His guidance with every step of last year and I'm excited to see where He leads this year. How about you?

December was a busy month. They were all great things though, so I'm thankful for that. I want to update you on all that has happened.

English club is officially up and running! I'm so thankful that everything got lined up and I've been able to have club. It is a challenge though! I never know who will show up week to week. The numbers have ranged from 1 student to 11 students at a time. Please pray that attendance will get to a regular number. I don't think the club is taken very seriously by the teachers. Sometimes there will be teachers trying to have a meeting in my room when English club is supposed to start in 5 minutes. Other times they change the schedule and all students are required to attend an assembly in the gym during the time that I have club and no one tells me! It can be frustrating. I never know how it will go week to week!
I was so thankful for Pastor Koiwai coming to my English club on Christmas Eve. That day was one of the different schedule days, so I was worried that no one would come, but 6 (rowdy) boys came 10 minutes late. They listened to Pastor Koiwai talk about Christmas in a way that I have never seen them listen before. They don't even listen that well in classes! They said they would like Pastor Koiwai to come to club every week!
*Please pray that they will come to youth group this month. Pastor Koiwai and I told them about it and it seemed like they were looking forward to it. I asked Pastor Koiwai to write notes to them reminding them about it and he will do that next week. Youth group is January 31st, please pray for these boys! Ryota, Kakeru, Mirai, Kouhei, Tatsuya and Tomoki.

The church hosted a turkey dinner outreach to friends and neighbors. Ayaka Sensei from the elementary school and Tezuka san my boss attended the dinner. That was a nice time and a good opportunity for them to meet Japanese Christians.

The church also hosted a children's Christmas. About 30 children attended. Several new families that had never been to the church came. It was a fun time. We played Christmas Bingo in English.

Yoshino san also hosted a Children's Christmas at the Christian Bookstore. There were about 5 families that attended. It was a challenge because we read a book about the Christmas story and several people participated and read parts. I had to read the part of Jesus in Japanese! From the event I was able to take some new friends with me to youth group that same day. It was really cool to see how God worked that out!

Thank you for all your prayers during Christmas when I wasn't able to be home. It really didn't feel like Christmas here in Japan, so I didn't feel like I was missing anything special! I think that was because of your prayers!

I was able to enjoy a nice Christmas with my family after Christmas when I spent 10 days at home. It was a wonderful time getting caught up with family and friends!

Winter is a hard time in Japan! I really miss central heating. Sometimes I walk around my house with my coat on until the heater warms up one room. My windows almost always have thick frost on the inside of them in the morning. There isn't any snow on the ground, which is almost disappointing because it is so cold!
*Please pray that I figure out the best ways to stay warm! I feel like it will be a long winter!

This week I am going car shopping! It will make things easier for winter and the whole time that I'm here! I'm 25 minutes away from a train station by bicycle. My bicycle is currently broken and it is really cold!
*Please pray that I will get a car and all the details will be worked out!

Yesterday there was a funeral service for Mr. Morita. I asked for prayer for him before. He passed away last week after a 2 month battle with lung cancer. His funeral was a celebration of his life and a good testimony for the hope he had in the Lord and the hope that others can have in Christ. Many unbelievers attended the service and heard about Christ.
*Please pray for his family. His wife Akiyo will now be without her husband everyday so please remember her often. He also had five children. Jun is 16 years old. Yesterday was her birthday and she had to have her dad's funeral. Nao is 10 years old. Sho and Ao are 7 years old and the youngest Megu is only 8 months old. Pray that each of the children will draw close to the Lord during this time.

I'm so thankful to know that many of you are praying! :) It really means a lot!